Tuesday 19 July 2011

Potato Patch


Well we finally managed to move two tonnes of soil from the front garden, around the back, up the stairs and into the raised beds. It took a while...but it's done. The problem is we need another tonne to finish it! 


In the meantime, the potatoes were sown and grown. I aptly grew some 'Nicola' potatoes, not a variety I've eaten before, I usually buy Maris Pipers or Roosters. I've also planted some New Potatoes, but they are a few weeks behind.

Potatoes are a strange thing to grow, there is so much happening 'up above' but you have no idea until you dig up your first crop just how well they have grown.  I patiently waited on them flowering then the excitement took over and with fork in hand I dug up the first plant. I was so proud to see the beautiful potatoes underneath. 

The next question was, what to do with them?
 
Craig wanted homemade chips so they were sliced (skins left on) and coated in some olive oil. They were put on a stone slab and cooked in a very hot oven for about 25mins, in my opinion by far the best way to make chips!



Unfortunately they were scoffed before I could take a picture!





It is wonderful having your own produce that you can nip out, collect and have in the oven ready to eat. This year is just a taste of what it will be like next year as the garden will be bursting with fresh homegrown produce :-)



2 comments:

  1. Your own potatoes, fabulous! Must have been exciting digging them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was and they tasted amazing! I was sad when the crop came to an end. With six of us in the house even a big patch of potatoes didn't last long!

    ReplyDelete