Monday 10 September 2012

Shoestring cooking...


So this week's challenge is to cook for a week with just the ingredients at home. No 'big Tesco shop' and no nipping out when I haven't got something I need. It's all about using up what's in the freezer and the store cupboards (both which are pretty full).

We started last night and tea wasn't a big hit. I got some cheap pork a couple of weeks ago which I slow cooked in onions and cider and then mixed in some creme fraiche at the end. It tasted nice at the time but its journey from the freezer through to the microwave (because I forgot to take it out to defrost!) meant the meat had either shredded in the sauce or was a bit dry.

On a plus note the roast spuds and mashed potato were fab!

To compensate I threw together six mini chocolate puddings and served them with ice-cream. Yum!

The recipe I use for the chocolate pudding is actually one for I created for a birthday cake but it is lovely served warm and is very light and moist. I have a lovely tin which I purchased a number of years ago from Lakeland which has six individual min-cake sections. You can also make wonderful mini Victoria sponges in it too.




Anyway here's the recipe for my mini-cakes:

Chocolate mini-cakes


Wheat Free Yes Gluten Free Yes
Makes 6
  
Ingredients 

100g softened butter
100g caster sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp GF baking powder
80g GF self raising flour (I like to use Doves)
20g GF Cocoa powder

 
Method 

1. Preheat oven to 180oC
2. Mix all ingredients together
3. Put into 6 individual mini cake tins (or ramekins would work fine)
4. Cook for 10mins or until the cakes are springy to touch.
5. Enjoy warm with cream, ice-cream or custard

No comments:

Post a Comment