Thursday 24 October 2013

Back to Basics


Of all the big fancy stalls at the Good Food Show in Glasgow last week, it was a little one that caught my eye and made my day. I missed it on the first wander around and to be honest it wasn't the stall but the lovely kids clambering over it that made me take a second glance. I was glad I did!




The Little Veg Co is a small family run business which deliver fresh fruit and vegetable boxes straight to your door on a weekly basis. We had a quick chat and decided to give it a try so on Tuesday our first veg box arrived. It looked as good as the ones we saw at the show and the variety (and quantity) was fantastic. We asked not to include potatoes or onions as we go through lots of these each week so for £16 we got the following:

Humongous cauliflower 
Equally huge red cabbage
Broccoli
Butternut squash
Beetroot
Celery
Carrots
Peppers
Cucumber
Tomatoes 
Lettuce
Spinach
Mushrooms 

The quality and freshness of the vegetables was amazing and the only packaging was the bag the spinach came in. I am so impressed I plan on adding a fruit box to our order next week along with extra spuds and onions.

Seeing the veg in all its glory really made us think long and hard about our weekly shopping. We regularly use the local fishmonger and butcher but it's all too easy when in the Supermarket to pop a few things in the trolley and not bother. Well as of this week we are committed 100% to buying local.

Obviously we will still use the Supermarket for all the staple stuff but for our perishables (fruit, veg, meat, fish) we are sticking to our guns and keeping them out the trolley.

Not knowing what will arrive on a Tuesday will also have an impact on menu planning as the tables are now turned. Veggies arrive then we pick a menu for the week rather than menu planning then shopping. It is really refreshing to do this and also means we are less likely to get stuck in a rut with the same meals. It also means we don't buy things we don't need and potentially could waste.

On the menu this week is:

Cauliflower, broccoli and smoked haddock gratin
Spaghetti bolognaise (mushrooms)
Butternut squash risotto (celery)
Lamb & cauliflower curry (cauliflower still going strong!)
Fish pie  (spinach & carrots)
Smoked mackerel fishcakes & side salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber)
Veggie pasta (peppers & mushrooms)
Spicy chickpea soup (carrots & celery)

I am also deciding what to do with the beetroot. At the moment I am torn between beetroot falafels or beetroot humous...I'll probably make both.

I know some people will be skeptical that you can really taste a difference but trust me, you can! When I make bolognaise I dice mushrooms and put them through it. Tonight my teenage son actually asked what was different about the mushrooms as they had more flavour. He's a teenage boy, he rarely pays attention to anything!


No comments:

Post a Comment