Wednesday, 6 November 2013
So I hear on the grapevine (well twitter) that Hugh will be rustling up some banana flapjacks tonight on River Cottage Fruit. Well I am afraid to say I won't be following the recipe as I have my very own which I think is the best! I would love to have a battle of the flapjacks but I'm up here in Fife and with Hugh down there in Devon I don't think it's going to happen soon!
With two sons who compete regularly at athletics we find these are a great snack, especially with a son who won't eat bananas but will eat flapjacks packed with them!
Anyway here's my tried and tested recipe.
Wheat Free Yes Gluten Free No
280g demerara sugar
1/2 tin condensed milk
500g porridge outs
2 ripe bananas, mashed
Chopped dried apricots
Anything you fancy really!
1. In a large pan melt the butter and sugar over a low heat.
2. Stir in the condensed milk and syrup.
3. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the oats.
4. Add any extras (at this point I usually split the mix in two and make two different flavours, a particular favourite of ours is cranberry, apricot and coconut pictured abouve).
5. Put in two baking trays lined with baking parchment. Even the mix out but don;t press down too hard.
6. Bake in the oven for approximately 15min or until the edges start to brown. Don't overcook
7. Leave in the trays until cold then cut into squares.